Monday, January 23, 2012

The Wanderer



It was Sunday. The kids were cranky. We needed something to do. Something new and exciting that we'd never done before. So we decide to ride Rabat's new tram system and let us take it where it goes.



Maybe I should have brought my reading glasses, cause I couldn't read any of this.

The kids don't care where we're going. They love it. And we end up at the medina. Jade compares the exotic aroma of the old marketplace to a fart. I think that's being way too olfactory generous myself. Depending on the fart, of course. But no matter, the kids are excited to wheel and deal for the cheap trinkets and illegal wares one can find there. What better way to teach them about trademark infringement and copyright infringement? I know Beats headphones, that are spelled BeatZ headphones and sold for 200 dirham sounds like a good deal. But the beat won't go on wearing those headphones. The beat will simply stop when they completely fall apart immediately after purchase. Of course the boys still want them.



Then they see the knives with a big made in the USA stamp on them. Which I inform them there is no way it was made in the USA because it would have cost them more than the $2 to make it because in American they pay adult workers minimum wage, make sure there are no hazardous ingredients like lead and then they have to pay the shipping to Africa. No boys, I'm pretty sure that pocket knife is made in China by slave children who have lead poisoning.

(The boys did buy the knives anyway. I'm just trying to make sure they wash their hands after they play with them.)

While I was informing the boys about the evils of the world and discussing market economics, I lost sight of Craig. Oh, and the girls. In the busy medina.

If you don't know my husband you may not know he's prone to wandering. But the question is, does he or doesn't he have the girls?



The boys follow me as we weave in and out of people and down the narrow medina. Until we get stuck behind the guy languidly pushing his cart of illegally copyright infringed dvds. When we come to an opening and have an opportunity to pass, River and I take it, but Sky doesn't make it. So I'm trying to look forward and find Craig while hanging back to let Sky catch up. Finally we reach the main road and the crowds dissipate in the street. And there 30 yards in front of us is Craig with both girls holding hands and sauntering sweetly toward the smell of roasting chicken.

And lunch.



Which included some Moroccan salad which Sky loves.



So this is the part of the post where I'm going to edit out the conversation my husband and I had over lunch. So, in it's place I'm going to put my recipe for Moroccan Salad:

1 chopped onion
4 large chopped tomatoes
1 peeled and chopped cucumber
1 large handful of chopped cilantro
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 Tbsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste.

And then we bought some dates.



And on the tram ride home, the kids stood right next to the glass to see the driver and all the controls. Except, I only count 3 kids. I'm missing a kid...



Ember, my other wanderer. Thank god not all who wander are lost. You see, Ember was merely dancing around the tram pole behind me. And she knew exactly where she was the whole time.

13 comments:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I was already thinking that conversation, because I know it well. Great story, and lunch looks good.

rogers creek farm said...

Better get your fill of dates. They are next to impossible to find over here, and when you do they are NOTHING like what's over there!
An excellent appetizer: Bacon-Wrapped Dates!!! Let me know if you want the recipe! mmmmmm good, and addictive!

Rumpydog said...

What a great outing! And that salad sounds yummy, I gotta try it. But you REALLY got me drooling with that pic of the dates. I LOVE dates!

Marie Loerzel said...

Janice that doesn't sound halal.

Leah Griffith said...

I love how you load the entire family on the tram and head out to destination unknown! What a blast Marie! That salad sounds yummy too;)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the recipe! I love anything that my mother-in-law hasn't found first. She's the one who usually digs up new yummy salads. But I KNOW she doesn't have this one, and now I have TWO I can spring on her the next time we get together.

I love the tram pictures. Those are just gorgeous. And I would have had a HEART attack if I misplaced my kids in the middle of a busy marketplace.

Cerebrations.biz said...

I'll try the recipe tonight!
And, I suggest the old tried and true method- tying your children together so they can't wander off! (Oh, wait, I know they are older than 3- but we found it works even better when they are teens!)

Dangerous Linda said...

Hi, Marie! ~

Given your life-style I find this notion hilarious, "It was Sunday. The kids were cranky. We needed something to do. Something new and exciting that we'd never done before." Oh. You mean, like what you do every minute of every day of their lives??? haha!

I do appreciate the salad recipe, which not only looks yummy but includes ZERO ingredients I'm not supposed to eat -- dinner TONIGHT!

Anonymous said...

Recipe sounds yum. Will ask my chefs to try it :)

Kara said...

I've always imagined the scent of a Moroccan spice market, but somehow I never thought "fart" :)

rogers creek farm said...

Since when were you EVER worried about halal!!!??? LOL

Marie Loerzel said...

I'm trying to be cultural sensitive since people hate me now. aOk, so I'm not. Please post the recipe!

Marie Loerzel said...

And Kara an authentic Moroccan spice market is really smells like fart mixed with b.o., cumin and olives. Saying simply fart was oversimplifing if you ask me.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...