Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Where in the World...?

Where do you go when the kids have two days off school for the Moroccan holiday celebrating the end of Ramadan (then you unapologetically pull the kids out of school for two additional days and attach it to a weekend)? Where indeed.

Let me give you some clues:

It boasts a suspension bridge...



and streetcars...



and funiculars, which may be one of the goofiest words ever, but still doesn't top the word exacerbate.



And no, it's not San Francisco.

Women didn't have full voting rights in this country until 1975. Just for comparison's sake, women in Afghanistan got the right to vote in 1963.

85% of the population is Roman Catholic, but the country has a declining birthrate. Hmmmmmm, how is this even possible I ask you?

This country probably has the biggest collection of jesus action figures. Ok, that's not a fact, it's just based on the fact that I saw Jesus everywhere we went and I wasn't even hallucinating!



(I would totally have displayed Jesus karate chopping a block of wood in the window myself. He'd have a black belt of course...)

It's known for it's pastries. This delicious looking chocolate covered rat turned out to be filled with marzipan. River was less than happy with it's surprise center. It might as well have been rat poison.



A lot of historic houses have mosaic tile on the outside. And that just looks really stupid like the house is inside out or something. And that's not my personal opinion, that's a fact.



It has Europe's second largest aquarium. I found it ironic that they served tuna in the cafeteria and even more ironic that Jade ate it after claiming tuna was her favorite fish at the aquarium. I guess she really does love tuna.



It's known for it's fresh seafood. But beware, when travelling to a fishing village and stopping at a cafe overlooking the beach and ordering the fresh fish of the day, you may find out that all the fish on their menu is actually frozen.



It's also known for it's port. (The wine not the harbor, but it actually has both.) If you don't already know this, port is totally gross. Who would ever mix a perfectly good red wine with brandy? But, we did find the local vinho verde complements frozen seafood quite nicely.



It has beautiful beaches. And oddly, no women were topless on it. I think the boys were disappointed.



Oh and bullfights, don't forget about the bullfights! Did you guess Spain?





Cause you'd be wrong...








It's Portugal.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok I thought about so many places but not one minute of Portugal - Anyway it makes me want to go there on holidays, your description of the place is funny, interesting.......
Imagine you had a great time!

Cerebrations.biz said...

Port gave it away for me!
The only good thing about Port is that it cooks well with meat.
Portugal is one country I have not yet visited. But, now that I know about all those action figures, there's a draw that can't be resisted!

Vivian said...

Ok, Just added it to my bucket list. Simply awesome!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

Amazing! I want to visit Portugal so badly. You make it sound so fun, and funny. Glad you went and had a great time!

Grace said...

Awesome! I want to go to Portugal!

Marie Loerzel said...

Grace, I'll go with you sans kids we can drink vinho verde and eat sardines...ok, the sardines sound gross and my husband may have to agree to watch el kiddos, but it could happen. And we won't watch any bull fights we'll just endlessly bullshit and shop at Zara or just window shop at Zara with a digital camera and take goofy pictures of us in their clothes in the dressing room. And then we'll ride the funicular....

cathy jones said...

I was totally stumped, which is explained by the fact that I have never been past Mexico, or Canada...unless you count Alaska as another country...

Loved the photos...

Sine said...

Ha! We had been there so I knew it was Lisbon. One of our favorite vacations ever. (I think this was because it was without kids). And we brought back a pack of those Azulejos or what you call inside-out tiling looking strange. Loved them there but now hiding somewhere in a closet as I admit they are kinda weird... By the way, we thought the best asset of Portugal were it's people. Totally friendly, at least for European standards!

Muriel said...

I recognised Lisbon because of the azuleros. I love Lisbon. that said, the water was pretty cold, which might explain why there were no topless women? Just saying.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...