Thursday, April 30, 2015

I Should


I should.  They are two very dangerous words.   Oh they look innocent enough.  But I assure you, they're not.  They're loaded with cultural expectations, unattainable goals and guilt.  Lots and lots of guilt.

How many times a day do you say, "I should...."?

And not just said out loud, but that silent but deadly "should" that lives inside your head.  If you're anything like me (and I'm going to guess you are) the answer is a lot.  I "should" myself through the entire day, every day.  While some of them are completely valid, like I "should" remember to call my dad.  Others, are more outlandish, like I "should" be the perfect mom, sew the kids clothes out of curtains and solve the atrocities in Syria.  

I should stop doing that! 

Dammit...I just did it again!  Or maybe this is my biggest "should" ever.  The one I should actually follow through on.  Because one person can "should" a million things, but one can only "do" so much.  Especially if you're going to do the things you do do well.  

So, you really should give yourself a break.

As for me?  I'll just be over here contemplating that I should have submitted this post to one of those inspirational on-line magazines to get more exposure for my writing.  Dammit....I just did it again!  Oh well, opportunity lost...



4 comments:

Cerebrations.biz said...

Ah, the difference between cogitation and action...
It's the twin to :Do as I say, not as I do:

Leah Griffith said...

Geeze, Marie, you should stop shoulding on yourself;) Try musterbation it's much more fun. LOL!

Joy Page Manuel said...

I should...but could I?...would I?....(I feel like Dr. Seuss right now)..hehehehe.....

Sine said...

very true. I'm the poster child for this! Especially that last one. And I LOVE what you said about giving ourselves a break and/or focus on what we do do well.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...