Thursday, May 14, 2015

Acting Normal

My real life naturally 100% weird phone case.
  I didn't think I was good at much of anything, until I realized I'm a fantastic actress.  Pretending to be something I'm not day after day.  Acting like I'm okay, when I'm really unsure and more than a little insecure.  But, yet I seem to pull off acting normal on an almost daily basis.

It's the most popular illusion of our society.  

What the hell is normal anyhow?  It's extroverted and friendly.  But not too friendly because that's called creepy.  Normal has a nice light earthy scent.  Kinda like fresh cut grass.  But not overtly funky like b.o. or garlic breath.  It also votes, recycles, exercises, bakes fabulous cupcakes, not to mention scones, makes thoughtful handmade gifts and volunteers a lot.  Normal is annoyingly perfect.  

Which is why I'm not normal. 

And neither is anyone else.  And who would even want to be normal anyhow with all that pressure and those expectations?  Plus, then everyone is acting like the same person.  How boring is that?  So screw socially acceptable.  Embrace your inner awkward freak.  Unless you're a close talker.  Because no one likes a close talker.  Trust me on this and take a step back and say it, don't spray it already.  

And just remember:   
Stay weird.    

3 comments:

joeh said...

I could not describe "normal" but I sure as hell know abnormal.

All abnormal behavior is not bad and all normal behavior is not good.

Leah Griffith said...

A close talker. LOL!! I hate that too. I also hate when people pry into my spiritual life by asking what church I go to. Normal people go to church regularly. Or they judge my diet, because we all know the new chic normal is to be vegan. Shut up. Back the hell away. And takes your hands off my burger!

Sine said...

Love this sentence in particular: "It also votes, recycles, exercises, bakes fabulous cupcakes, not to mention scones, makes thoughtful handmade gifts and volunteers a lot. Normal is annoyingly perfect."

You are absolutely right. My husband and I have these regular disagreements over who is normal and who isn't. When the kids go through phases, he thinks they're not normal. When I read a ton of books, he thinks that's not normal. When he DOESN"T read any books, I think that's not normal. Maybe we should all accept those around us the way they are!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...