Wednesday, November 16, 2011

London Calling Part 3

Wednesday. It's our last full day in London. Wait. How can that be? It all went so fast. There's still so much to see. And so much to do. And we can't possibly see it all or do it all. Crap. Now we're down to last day vacation pressure. Should we see a museum? Go shopping? See the Tower of London? Meet our friends, the Phillips, for some fish and chips? Yeah, all of that.

On the way to the Victoria and Albert Museum we make a detour to King's Cross station. If you need to ask why we would go to see this particular tube station you are obviously not a Harry Potter fan. As this is the station that has platform 9 3/4 that you take to get to Hogwarts. Well, it used to anyway. We searched the entire station and can't find it. Then, we ask. It has been moved. Outside. Where it is now diminished to a niche. Yes, a tiny little niche with a sign that says Platform 9 3/4 with a cart half way through it. That's all that's left of it. What a huge disappointment especially considering this tube stop is no where near where we were actually going today.



As we make our way nearer to the Victoria and Albert Museum, we walk through the shopping district and our pace slowed to a saunter. The store windows were already decorated for Christmas. And did I mention there is a Starbucks on virtually ever corner here? And I don't know if you know this, but Starbucks has a Christmas blend coffee that is my absolute favorite. And it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.
Which gets me in the mood for carols...



O Christmas Blend
O Christmas Blend
Your caffeine fix unchanging
O Christmas Blend
O Christmas Blend
Your caffeine fix unchanging
Not only bold, but also spicy sweet
Take away cup, I can drink it in the street
O Christmas Blend
O Christmas Blend

This may come as a shock but, Morocco doesn't have Starbucks. Or take away cups. Or beautifully decorated shop windows that look like Christmas, complete with falling snow! So this? This is magical!

After our leisurely morning ramble and caffeine fix, we finally make it to the Victoria and Albert Museum. We walk in and are immediately awestruck by the chandelier above the reception desk. Ok, I was awestruck that it was made by an American glass blower, and that I pulled his name, Dale Chihuly, out of my ass. You know what I mean. So we start chatting with the docent about it, anxious to confirm my cultured, worldly rightness and all. When I hear a voice. It's calling my name and coming from right behind me. And who is it? It's my brother!

Here is photographic evidence that I did not make this up.



Yup, it's him. My brother Jim. Turns out his flight back to the states is later than he thought, so he came to the museum to see if he'd bump into us. What are the chances right. Not only that, the day before when we were trying to find each other, we went to all the same places, but were just off by 1/2 hour or so either way. Weird right? We walk through the museum, grab a very cramped lunch and catch up for about an hour and a half before he needs to take off. Literally. So, we said our goodbyes and then we headed across town to the Tower of London to meet our friends.



Except that their youngest got sick and they headed back to the hotel early, so we didn't see them. We took the tour and I made the kids pose for goofy pictures.



It's our last supper. Well here anyway. And what haven't we done? Eaten fish and chips. And I've got it on good authority from my friend Kim that the best place in town for it is Rock and Sole. And one would think, it's only cod, batter and oil how can it be the best in London? I really don't know. But it was definitely the best fish and chips I've ever had. Thank god because the bill came to over $100. We got rocked and stoled!



As we packed up our suitcases the next day, I thought about our friends the Phillips. Last year we coincidentally went to Gibraltar at the same exact time. And we didn't see each other that whole trip. Just like this trip. It's like our families have this weird British jinx or something. Maybe next year our families should plan a trip to the British Virgin Islands together. Third times a charm, right?



Before we got on the plane back to Morocco we all stuffed our faces with greasy Krispy Kreme donuts and Starbucks coffee, just because we could. Maybe England's not so bad after all...

AND NOW A WORD TO OUR SPONSORS: All the kids pants in the whole London Calling series were brought to you, or us rather, by Aunt Christy and Uncle Ryan. THANK YOU!!!

7 comments:

A Brilliant Life said...

Lovely Series! I have "chicken skin" from the brother story. How sweet and cute and funny that he knew where to find you really. I love London also and this travel series was great because you really shed some light on travelling with more than one kid. You make it seem so effortless and fun. Oh and kuddos for the chandelier reconnaissance!

A Brilliant Life said...

Oh and if you lived closer I would so be stopping by uninvited for some of that xmas blend!!! I am nutty for starbucks and the xmas season as well!

Marie Loerzel said...

Oh so NOT effortless AT ALL! And many NOT fun moments like: "Get your hands off your sister! No, I don't care that everyone knows English here and you're embarrassed I'm yelling at you. Aren't you embarrassed you can't keep your hands off your sister?" A LOT of those. And I mean A LOT!

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

I'm so glad you got your proper Christmas fix!

Leah Griffith said...

I'm so glad that you got to see your brother, and about the Starbuck's and Crispy Creme donuts;)
Thanks for taking me along with you...and it didn't cost me a dime.
Enjoy your special blend!
Leah

Christy said...

Another fab travel series Marie! Glad the clothes worked out for the kids. ��

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

I'm so glad you provided photo evidence, I was really starting to think you made it all up! ;) What a fun trip! I am glad ya'll still went after the flight price mix up. The kids looked they had a good time, and maybe even ya'll did too! lol. And dirt bikes and London, ummm, ok, if you say so, haha.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...